Here are seven ways that just a spoonful of turmeric a day can prove to be your secret miracle spice
1. Battling inflammation naturally: As you may know, chronic inflammation is believed to be at the root of many modern illnesses. Turmeric’s active ingredient, curcumin, has been found by researchers to be a very effective and potent anti-inflammatory, even exceeding the performance of drugs intended to fight inflammation.
2. Brain protection: Turmeric can protect against the development of cognitive disorders like dementia and Alzheimer’s disease, two conditions often associated with Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor, or BDNF, a type of growth hormone. Scientists have discovered that curcumin positively affects the BDNF levels in the brain, and may delay or even reverse a number of brain diseases or age-related degenerative conditions.
3. Risk reduced for several types of cancer:
In reality, turmeric could very well be one of the most potent natural anti-cancer agents there is. Not only can it prevent the growth of cancer cells, but it also blocks the development and spread of cancer and, some believe, may even hold the cure for several cancers.
4. Improve your digestion: Daily consumption of turmeric can reduce gas and bloating, stimulate the gallbladder and prevent inflammation of the digestive tract. That said, turmeric should not be taken on a daily basis by people suffering from gallbladder disease, as the over-stimulating properties of turmeric can worsen that condition.
5. Heart health: Curcumin can reduce LDL – or bad cholesterol – which will then prevent blood clotting while removing arterial plaque buildup.
6. Eases arthritis: Scientists admit that more research is needed in this particular use of turmeric, however, that said, many people have reported various levels of improvement in this condition when they consume a teaspoon of the queen of spices per day. The theory is that the curcumin in turmeric helps battle chronic inflammation and thereby reduces the pain associated therewith. Some even say that curcumin supplements work much better than over-the-counter or prescription medications aimed at reducing inflammation – and all without any side-effects.
7. Delays aging and increases longevity: Being able to live longer and stay healthier seems to be on everyone’s mind these days. One of the secrets to achieving this may lie in magical turmeric. Free radicals and inflammation are both believed to cause premature aging, and curcumin has proven in many cases to reverse those conditions.
Original photo credit: https://www.swansonvitamins.com/blog/lindsey/what-is-turmeric